Blue ridge Parkway shuttles $80 for groups of 2, $100 for a group of 3, $15 each additional person after 3ppl
The 34 mile Art Loeb Trail is one of the most popular weekend backpacking trails in the Asheville area. The trail begins at Camp Daniel Boone and travels through the High Balsams of the Shining Rock Wilderness Area and drops into the forest covered lands along the last two thirds of the trip ending at Davidson River Campground. The Art Loeb has been described as the highlights of the Appalachian Trail compressed into 34 miles. Some of the highlights along the trail include Shining Rock Ridge, Tennet Mountain, Black Balsam Mountain, Pilot Mountain, and the rock face of Cedar rock.
The most popular hike is from North to South because it provides a little less elevation gain and provides for easy alternative exits if the trail or weather makes it difficult for hikers. Many backpackers with only a weekend who find the 34 miles a bit daunting will either hike the northern section from Camp Daniel Boone to the Blue Ridge Parkway (approximately 14miles, shuttle cost $125) or the southern end the Blue Ridge Parkway to Davidson River Campground (approximately 20 miles, shuttle cost $80). It is important for backpackers hiking in the North Carolina area to understand their limits based on the elevation demands along the trip.
Below are some frequently asked questions regarding the Art Loeb Trail.
Where are water sources on trail?
Water source 1 (WS1) Just before deep gap 1 where the trail makes its southern bend on the ridgeline, (WS2)after passing black balsam there is a short spur from the art loeb that takes you to the black balsam parking area. from there head north on Ivestor Gap trail for about 200m and you will see a spring on your right, (WS3) Deep Gap Shelter, (WS4)Butter Gap Shelter. ALL THESE WATER SOURCES WILL BE IN OPPOSITE ORDER IF YOU ARE HIKING NORTH TO SOUTH.
2. Should we carry a water pump purification system (or just chemical tablets)?
This is completely up to you either will work fine.
3. What is a good source (web site, etc.) of weather information for the trail (as opposed to cities in the Valleys)? NOAA weather website at Mount Pisgah. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much cooler it is at 6,000 feet than in Brevard? Typically 20- 30 degrees.
4. Any recommended economy places to stay in Brevard or nearby? Sunset Motel in Brevard has the cheapest rates. Once you have booked with us we can provide you a code for a discount at the Holiday Inn Brevard another option is the Hampton Inn Brevard.
5. Where are the bailout points?
Gloucaster Gap, Butter Gap Trail to the fish hatchery, Cat Gap Trail to the fish Hatchery, North Slope Connector trail
6. Any other advice you can give us? Be sure to pay attention to your map and compass, specifically on the northern end until you leave the wilderness area as the trail is only vaguely marked in this area. Please note that campfires are not allowed within the wilderness area on the northern end of the trail.
7. What is the best way to hike the Art Loeb Trail? Although the guide book recommends the Art Loeb Trail be hiked from south to north. It is Pura Vida Adventures’ recommendation that the Art Loeb trail be hiked from North to South. The reasons include less elevation gain, better distribution of water sources and campsites, easier access to bail out routes later in the trail, and most difficult navigation will be at the beginning of your hike.
8. How long is the Art Loeb shuttle? The Art Loeb shuttle takes 1.5 hours one direction. It is a 3 hour drive for your shuttle driver.
9. Can you pick us up from the airport? We can pick you up from the Asheville airport for an additional $40. If you need to be dropped off at the airport we can accommodate this as well for an additional $40. If your party is greater than 3ppl the airport transportation is an additional $10 a person after 3ppl.
There are no refunds of any type for shuttle service.
Pura Vida Adventures offers Art Loeb Trail Shuttles, Guided day hikes of the Art Loeb trail, and multi day backpacking and slackpacking trips of the Art Loeb Trail. Please contact us at 772-579-0005 or email@example.com
Copyright © 2006-2007 Pura Vida Adventures LLC. All Rights Reserved, Operating under Special Use Permit from US Forest Service Pisgah Ranger District