Expedition to Patagonia
Escape the North American winter this Feb.and escape to South America for a Patagonia Expedition
(Dates can be customized from Dec-Feb for groups of two or more.)
Activities include: glacial mountaineering, backpacking, open water kayaking, camping, and trekking.
Expedition Package Includes:
A 8 day fully guided expedition in the Patagonia wilderness including gear and food.
This kayaking expedition is led by Pura Vida Patagonia, the authority on sea kayaking the lakes district of Patagonia, Argentina. Their safety standards meet and exceed those of many outfitters based in the US.
The Mountaineering trip is fully guided and includes overnight stays in mountain huts. As well as, opportunities to view and camp near glacial lakes, glaciers, waterfalls, and summit 12,000 ft glacial peaks and travers its glaciers.
One American guide, Joe Moerschbaecher (owner of Pura Vida Adventures), will travel with you throughout the trip and educate you on the culture, practices, and pleasures of Patagonia, Argentina.
A local Argentine guide to accompany you on the sea kayak/mountaineering expedition; they will instruct, guide, and educate participnats about Patagonia region and culture during the trip.
Instruction in sea kayaking and mountaineering techniques and basic skills review.
Transportation to and from the San Carlos De Bariloche International airport.
All major equipment provided
An opportunity to “Experience the Good Life”
- Arrive to Bariloche Airport.
- Transfer to Refugio del Lago
- Dinner at La Marmite
- Night at Refugio del Lago
- Transfer to Pampa Linda. Hike up to Otto Meilling mountain hut. This is a five hour hike along the way we will see glaciers and waterfalls coming out of Glaciar Castaño Overa.
- Night in the hut
- Early wake up at 4am, prepare equipment.
- Head out to Pico Argentino Refugio (approx 6-8 hours). This route will take you along glaciers on avarage 25 degrees slopes, with some steps of 40 degrees.
- Summit attempt of 12,000 plus ft. Pico Argentino (weather and time permitting)
- Head back down to Otto Meiling mountain hut.
- Sleep in Otto Meiling Mountain Hut.
- Glacier crossing of Glaciar Alerce, one of the glaciers that belongs to Mt Tronador.
- Hike down to Paso de las Nubes heading Northeast, where we will see the Frias Valley and the Frias Valley Glaciars. All these glaciers stem from Mte Tronador.
- We will put up our tents at the base of Mount Tronador where we are going to spend the night at 9,000ft. This area is called Selva Valdiviana which is comparable to a rain forest rain forest.
- Night in tents
- This day will include a short trek, hiking through the Frias Valley until the river runs into Frias Lake.
This area is like walking through a “jungle”, the vegetation is very thick and this area looks like a tropical rainforest.
The Frias River looks turquoise and brown, this color comes from the glacial sediments as it makes it way down the glacier. This water color is known as glacial milk.
- We meet the kayaking guides at Puerto Blest, where we become familiarized with the kayaks and the rest of the group while we pack the boats.
- After a brief talk on kayaking safety and orientation, we are ready to begin our trip.
- A few minutes after leaving Puerto Blest, we are immersed in magical scenery, the Blest branch of Lake Nahuel Huapi is surrounded by Mount Capilla and Millaqueo, among others.
- We kayak part of the branch, and later stop for lunch by one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the area.
- In the afternoon, we continue paddling until reaching a beach resembling paradise, where we set up our camp.
- In the morning, we prepare our kayaks for the trip along the Nahuel Huapi lake, paddling the lake surrounded by high snow-peaked mountains, such as Mount Capilla and López, both towering above 6000 feet.
- We will visit Centinela island, to see Perito Moreno`s tumb.
- We keep paddling towards Fossils Islands and Victoria Island, where we will set our second camp site.
- We will paddle the south side of Victoria Island, doing a long crossing to Peninsula San Pedro, and getting into the Campanerio Branch of the lake.
- We will finish our trip at Playa Serena. Where the van will take us to Refugio del Lago for a nice hot shower.
- Dinner at el Boliche de Alberto.
- Night at Refugio del lago.
- Morning free
- Transfer to the airport
Additional activities and expeditions can be added to this program at an additional charge.
Please contact us with any questions or if we can assist you in anyway.
In addition to our various expeditions Pura Vida Adventures offers customized trips to Bariloche, Argentina an adventure paradise in Northern Patagonia.
Spend the evenings in the city and its outlying areas dining along the natural glacial lake Nahuel Huapi enjoying Argentina’s world famous free range beef, fondue, and fine wines.
Spend your days exploring the Patagonia Andes through a variety of activities including kayak touring, whitewater rafting/kayaking, hiking, rock climbing, horseback riding, canopy tours, and flyfishing. You will have English speaking Argentine guides helping you on each day of your adventure through various activities. They will also teach you more about the way of life in this place called the “Uttermost Part of the World”.
Contact us for desired dates and activities, as well as accomodation desires and we will provide you with a free quote and answer any of your questions. This is an example of an 7 day trip you can adjust your itinerary based on your number of days in Bariloche
Day 1: Pick up at Bariloche´s airport . Transfer in.
Day 2 to 6: 5 activities from the list, all included.
Day 7: Transfer out.
Full day activities:
-White water rafting-
-White water kayak-
-Beginners rock climbing-
-Canopy + Small circuit-
All activities includes: Transportation, equipment, english speaking guides and food.
All days includes:-Accommodation.
-Alcoholic breverages, airfare, in town dinners
Read below for more information on each specific activity.
Volcano Lanin (3-4 days)— Trip includes travel via rental car from Bariloche to the base of Lanin. We will stop in San Martin de los Andes over night to prepare for the trip, enjoy its beaches and prepare for an early start the following morning. We are typically allowed three days on Lanin by the park service. There are very basic mountain huts on the summit attempt which we can use. We will plan based on the weather to hike one day to the assigned mountain hut. Set up camp enjoy dinner, acclimatize and prepare for summit on the following day. Day 2 will be dedicated to the summit we will get an early start to allow us plenty of time to summit. After a successful summit and descent back to our mountain hut, weather permitting, we can decide on whether we want to spend another evening on the mountain or descend back to the base and our car. Day 3 is spent either attempting our summit if weather did not permit us to do so on Day 2 or making our way back toward Bariloche with an option to stop and spend the evening in one of many smaller villages within the lakes district.
Sea kayaking on Patagonia’s Glacial Lakes and their rivers (options from 2-6 days based on your desire)
Detaled trip description based on varying lengths. The trip includes great meals, as well as beer and wine with dinners. The sea kayaks are the tandem Necky Amurk . This trip you will not want to pass up. The trip also includes great opportunities for swimming, hiking, and just messing about.
Mountain Trekking/ Hiking (options from 2-6 days) located outside of Bariloche this trip requires little travel time before getting to the trailhead.
Nahuel Huapi Traverse– See magnificent, glaciers, and lakes while tackeling steep scree slopes and summiting multiple 10,000 ft peaks. At the end of the day rest your bones in a mountain hut with a hot meal made in their kitchen. Do not worry about carrying or setting up a tent, or cooking and carrying large amounts of food the key to this trip is to stay light and relaxed and let the caretakers of the mountain huts take care of your food and shelter. Finish your evening staring over a glacial lake at the Patagonian sky filled with shooting stars.
Mountain Trekking/ Hiking El Bolson (2-3 hours drive from Bariloche) (options from 2-4 days)- More glaciers await in the mountains outside El Bolson. The first day trek takes you to a mountain hut a short distance from a magnificent glacier. The second day allows time to explore the area around this glacier and begin the trek down into the canyon. Upon arriving in the canyon follow a trail along the Rio Azul (Blue River) and spend the afternoon soaking in the river. Spend the evening in another mountain lodge drinking the areas famous wines and eating a delicious meal. Day 3 will find us finishing our walk along the river crossing it via narrow wire bridges before arriving at our end point where we will take a transfer back to the town of El Bolson. Spend the evening in El Bolson and then the next day can be spent relaxing in the town square shopping and eating at the areas well known street market.
These and many other adventures await you in Patagonia with Pura Vida Adventures